Wednesday, January 26, 2005

A Coyote Myth

Courtesy of my niece, 6, here is a very good short story. I see some real story-telling ability, not to mention imagination, in this kid. It won't be long before I have to seek permission to post her work, so as not to infringe on copyright!


WHY COYOTE SOUNDS SO SAD
A MYTH as told by
Amelia Weber

Long, long ago, before there were stars, the moon was not enough. It was too bright for the sleeping animals to sleep at night. And it was too dark for the hunting animals to get their hunting done at night.

So the hunting animals and the sleeping animals went to the Creator and said, “The moon is not enough. We need something else.” The Creator thought and thought and thought for days and months and years, and finally the Creator lifted up a bag and inside the bag there were billions of stars. He went to the animals and said, “Tomorrow you can come and get a handful of stars and make a picture in the sky.” The animals went to one another. “Did you hear that?” they gasped.

The next morning Robin said to each animal, “Wake up Bear, wake up Snake, Coyote, wake up.” Coyote said, “Tomorrow, tomorrow, I’m too sleepy now.” “Okay,” said Robin, “if you don’t want to make a picture….” And he flew off. Then they all got in line to get their handful of stars, except for Coyote. Everyone took a handful and they got to go up into the sky and make pictures with their stars.

Then Coyote said sleepily, “I think I’ll get up and make a picture.” And he went to the Creator and said, “Can I have my stars?” and the Creator said “I’m sorry, I gave the stars to everyone else and I made a picture out of yours.” Coyote was furious. So he went up into the sky and took enough stars to make his own picture of a coyote. He put them into a bag. Creator said, “What do you have in the bag, Coyote?” “Nothing” said Coyote as tears ran down his cheeks. “Let me see,” said the Creator. And Coyote took the bag and threw them into the sky, and today it’s called the Milky Way.

And tonight, take your parents out and look into the sky and say, “Mom, Dad, what is that in the sky, is it God or a lobster?” And they’ll tell you. And the next time you hear a coyote howl you will hear that it sounds sad. I will tell you that he is sad because he didn’t get to put any stars into the sky. That’s what that sad, sad, howling song is.


Comments:
Her Dad told me she pulled dwn a bk t read t him, opened it upside down, and commenced telling the story of a man who asked Gd to turn him int a whale, then many negative experiences, then a request to God to reverse the operatin. Title of the book was "Moby Dick".
Passwrd requirement is still perational....S
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?