Wednesday, December 29, 2004

The car quandary

I am in the car market. I've ruled out the Euros, and I don't like front-wheel drive. What's that leave? Subaru, for one thing. All wheel drive is their forte. Sedan or wagon? I'm not sure, but I think I'm leaning toward wagon; it has more flexibility and it's more suitable for hauling Ripper around.

Subaru builds at least two wagons: Legacy and Impreza, the former being a mid-size and the latter a compact. The GT and the WRX, respectively, are turbo-charged versions. I like the idea of the smaller car (it's 15" shorter - a plus for in-town driving); but the GT is a more refined car, giving a smoother and quieter ride. (Just about every owner is very pleased with the Legacy GT.)

I test-drove the Legacy GT the other day, albeit in a sedan version. Once the turbocharger spools up the car is very quick. Friends have advised that the turbo lag can get annoying. But having flown a turbine powered aircraft I am familiar enough with slower throttle response. At this stage I'm inclined to think it matters more what you've got once the power is up. As far as handling, it's pretty nice: I took it around a typical freeway cloverleaf onramp at a pretty good clip and the car did not feel at all loose. However, the braking did not feel up to the standards of my old car.

I owe it to myself to test drive the WRX too, before pouring myself a tumbler of new car Kool-Aid. I dread the pinch of the buying experience, but sooner or later I'm just going to have to hold my nose (and grab my ankles).

Have a look at the Legacy GT Wagon and the Impreza WRX Wagon. And please leave any suggestions in the Comments section below - I have that nagging feeling that I'm not seeing the picture clearly.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?